Friday, April 24, 2015

Blog Post 14

We were asked this week to read the blog 'Teaching Our Children Can Be a Profession', Joel Klein introduced some very interesting facts about our school systems. 

Problem: Many teachers have been hired simply because they have a college degree.
Solution: Recruit teachers who graduated in the top third of their class


I completely agree with this. Not only do some people take advantage of their degree and float through school, but some people didn't even go to school for education. I agree that college professors doesn't necessarily have to take educational based classes, but K-12 in my opinion should. I don't feel as if a science major should be able to walk into a high school classroom without taking educational psychology, or other classes that teach you how to teach. With college graduates that graduate in the top third of their class, it makes the possibility of the students to succeed. 

Problem: Teachers who have had more experience than new teachers will always be chosen first, simply because of seniority.
Solution: To make teaching a profession by treating all teachers as equals, and allowing teachers to earn their levels of achievement.


I fully agree that this is a problem. Not only is it not fair, but just because a teacher has experience doesn't mean that they don't have something to bring to the table. I do think that all teachers should be created as equal. I do not know how most people decide to hire between two candidates, but I think they should maybe present a lesson plan to figure out which would be the better fit. 

Problem: Teaching has not been treated or respected as if it is a profession, even by educators themselves.
Solution: Teachers will have a self established board to "police the profession" by making standards and "providing mechanisms to remove incompetent teachers". 

This is a huge problem. I hear so many people tell me that I am not going to make money or my profession won't be good enough. The teachers that tell me that, should automatically be removed from their position at the school. There are so many newer teachers begging for that position that would be glad to take it. Having a "police" would be an awesome idea. 

This blog has put many things in perspective for me and really made me think about my career. I am so excited to go into this field and love my job. 

image of teacher with her classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment